Saturday, April 10, 2010

Reading and Being Read

Perhaps I am just tenacious.  But for a long time, I would have people read my work and then they would give me negative feedback.  Either I'm a glutton for punishment, or...well, yeah, I think that's it.  I've said before in my blogs that you can't learn to write well if you are not writing...and it's the same if you are not reading.  So I kept at it, feeling like maybe I just really sucked at writing...but I couldn't stop.  I HAD to write.  I would wake up in the middle of night, fly out of bed and tap my toe impatiently while the computer took too long to load all of my settings.

My current WIP (Work in Progress) was actually begun over ten years ago.  I wrote out of my imagination, lacking depth (I wonder what that says about me...?) and changed it over and over...oh, at least a thousand times or so.  I could fill a room with all the stuff I've thrown out from this particular novel. 

Today, a friend taught me how to do a water color painting.  I sketched a drawing of what I wanted to paint.  Then I chose a background color, and a brush.  When I was done with the background, the sketch was all but obscured by the pretty lavender color blotted all over my paper.  Huh.  My friend helped me set up for the colors to use on my sketch...and I panicked.  What if it's not good?  She said "Don't worry, this is practice!"  I swallowed the lump in my throat and watched her show me how to 'play' with the colors on scratch paper.  My jaw dropped at the simplicity with which she created not only a beautiful color but a beautiful representation of a flower petal.  Little by little, I painted, let it dry and painted over the top, until my project was complete.  Layer upon layer...  I had one more moment of panic...I wanted to just paint the picture, one time, have it turn out awesome and be done.  That's not how it's done.  There is blending of paint, choosing of brushes for different affects, adding of highlights, letting it dry...

This is SO much like writing a novel.  I felt the impact of what I'd learned from a simple painting of Black-eyed Susans.  So what if it has taken me over ten years to cultivate the story I'm dreaming up!  Layer upon layer, a story of substance has emerged.  And now, as I'm sharing my work with others, I'm getting feedback that is...a kick in the pants.  The best review I've gotten so far?  "This is a story that needs to be told."  And "I think you've found your niche."  Due to my persistence in asking for feedback, I am now privy to other people's writing as well - and that, too, is a kick in the pants.  Am I tenacious?  Yes.  A glutton for punishment?  Yep.  Going to publish this novel?  Uh huh.  And soon.

If I can figure out how to get a picture of my painting onto my computer, I will post it.  It turned out pretty good.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this very much. I would love to see your painting. Perhaps you could take a picture of it and upload it onto this site.
    BTW- I read your previous post. I liked the tips for writers. I am kind of a sporadic blogger b/c I don't have a lot of time to write but I will try some of your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed my posts. :-) My camera is dead, so my daughter is sending me a copy of the painting from her camera. I'll post it when I get it. It was really fun, even though I panicked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an excellent illustration of the writing life!

    Blessings,
    Carla

    http://writingtodistraction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete